Disaster Scenario | Virus Outbreak
Every year on the cable news channels you see story after story about different influenza or other outbreak. Weather it is SARS, F1N1, Bird-Flu, or ZIKA virus it seems to be on everyone’s mind. The kids come home sick from school, then you or your spouse get it and the sickness moves and mutates around the area. The young and elderly are most at risk for such flu’s, but what if it was something worse, something for which a cure is not readily available or even discovered yet? Ebola caused a big scare in the U.S. in 2016 with hourly updates on CNN and FOX. So, how do you prepare for such an outbreak and what do you do when one starts?
According to Ready.gov:
Before a Pandemic
- Store a two week supply of water and food.
- Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.
- Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
- Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic help records.
- Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.
During a Pandemic
Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.
Don’t forget, during the time of an outbreak, depending on how widespread and the severity of the sickness, you might have to depend on the supplies in which you had collected in years before. The food, water, plastic sheeting, medications, masks, eye protection…. Etc will also come in handy and will probably be in short supply so be proactive and not reactive, STOCK UP NOW!